“Ziwa Zima” (Healthy Breast) Campaign
Presented by: Surgeons001 – A team of surgeons operating in Mombasa, Kenya
In a world where patient engagement is pivotal for healthcare improvements, Surgeons001 initiated the “Ziwa Zima” (Healthy Breast) campaign to empower patients with knowledge and support for early breast cancer detection. The campaign was more than just raising awareness; it was about recognizing that patients’ voices are invaluable in the quest for better patient safety and healthcare outcomes.
The campaign leveraged online multimedia content, including short videos, infographics, and digital art focused on breast cancer awareness. Interactive sessions and survivor interviews engaged patients, their families, and the general public, fostering a sense of community and support.
Watch the video submission below:
Collecting Patient Insights
Surveys, interviews, and feedback forms played a crucial role in gathering both quantitative and qualitative data on patient experiences and perceptions. This patient-centric approach aimed to bridge the gap between healthcare providers and those seeking care.
The Power of “The Pink Champions”
A documentary titled “The Pink Champions” was produced, featuring heartfelt patient narratives, testimonials, and insights from medical experts. This documentary served as a powerful medium for raising awareness, challenging stigma, and dispelling myths surrounding breast cancer.
Spreading the Message Far and Wide
To extend the campaign’s reach, the documentary was officially selected for the Kenya Film Commission’s Reel County Film Festival 2023. This decision led to screenings across various Kenyan counties, further amplifying the message of breast cancer awareness, early detection, and patient safety.
Achieving Tangible Results
The “Ziwa Zima” campaign made a significant impact:
- Raising Awareness: Thousands of individuals in Kenya and beyond were reached, underscoring the importance of early detection and patient safety.
- Combatting Stigma: By sharing powerful narratives and expert insights, the campaign worked to dispel misconceptions and break the shackles of stigma associated with breast cancer.
- Empowering Patients: Patient voices took centre stage in “The Pink Champions” documentary, providing a holistic view of their journey.
- Enhancing Mental Health: The campaign offered hope and emotional support through real-life stories of breast cancer survivors, fostering resilience.
- Data-Driven Initiatives: Valuable patient data and feedback paved the way for improvements in breast cancer care, safety, and education.
- Catalyzing Change: The insights led to initiatives like increased screening availability, enhanced survivor support, and improved patient information resources.
Harnessing Patient Engagement
The “Ziwa Zima” campaign embodies the transformative power of patient engagement. Patient narratives and data collection emerged as catalysts for change. The documentary provided a platform to educate, advocate, and improve patient safety in breast cancer care.
A Pledge for the Future
This remarkable campaign underlines the importance of continued patient involvement in healthcare initiatives. Patients’ unique perspectives are a driving force for change, ensuring enhanced patient safety and healthcare support. The “Ziwa Zima” initiative serves as a testament to the potential of collective efforts in reshaping healthcare.
In conclusion, patient engagement is pivotal for patient safety. Surgeons001’s “Ziwa Zima” campaign effectively engaged patients in breast cancer awareness, leading to heightened awareness, actionable insights, and tangible improvements. It underscores the need for ongoing patient involvement in healthcare initiatives to drive change and enhance patient safety.
Read More about the QI story below:
This is part of the storytelling contest submission for World Patient Safety Month. Read more here.